Friday, July 19, 2013

AJ McCarron won't speak on Johnny Manziel's behalf

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron talks to the media about the upcoming college football season.



Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron taking questions at Thursday's SEC media events. (Photo: Marvin Gentry, USA TODAY Sports)


Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron accepts the responsibility that comes with his high-profile position, though that he's spent the last two years under the spotlight does not qualify him to speak on Johnny Manziel's behalf, he told reporters at Thursday's SEC media days.


RELATED: LIVE: Follow all the action from SEC Media Days Nick Saban jokingly addresses upcoming season

"I can't answer on Johnny Manziel's part," McCarron said when asked to address the situation involving Manziel at the Manning Passing Academy, an event in Thibodaux, La., where both McCarron and Manziel served as co-counselors. Manziel left the academy early after oversleeping, he told ESPN.


"My name's AJ," he said. "Everything that has to do with him, he's his own man. I'm not going to speak on another man's business. That's how I was raised. If I don't have nothing to do with you, don't speak on it.


PHOTO: PREVIOUSLY: Why McCarron skipped the ESPYS 'Bama fan's crazy hat

"I know how I handle myself out in public, how I carry myself in front of people. That's what I'm worried about, trying to be the best player and the best person off the field that I can be for my family and the University of Alabama. I never want to disrespect them in any way."


Said McCarron: "I know I'll always be watched when I step out the door. I can't go out and act a fool in public."


McCarron, one of three Alabama players to attend this week's media events, said he his role as the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback prevents him from being "a normal 22-year-old kid." He added, "But not every 22-year old is doing what I'm doing, either."


On Wednesday, Manziel told reporters he wasn't planning on changing his lifestyle despite a tumultuous offseason. "I'm still a sophomore in college," Manziel said. "I'm still going to do things that everybody in college does, and I'm going to continue to enjoy my life. Hopefully, people don't hold me to a higher standard than that."


McCarron, a two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy contender, said he feels "blessed" to have tasted such success heading into his final season.


"I never thought I'd be here, he said. "I was always doubted my whole time growing up, so to be in the situation I'm in - I'm blessed. It's an honor to be in this situation."


As a senior and one of the Crimson Tide's leaders, McCarron feels a responsibility to maintain the program's nearly unprecedented level of accomplishment during the last four seasons - Alabama has won three national championships in four years, becoming only the third program in college football's modern era to do so.


He and senior linebacker C.J. Mosley have preached "purpose" to their teammates during offseason conditioning, McCarron said.


"Everybody goes through their era in college football. Florida went through it. Miami Hurricanes back in the day. Florida State, USC. The list goes on. Everybody's time kind of falls off. Eras end after two or three years. Our thing was, why does it have to end?"


No comments:

Post a Comment