Saturday, July 20, 2013

Soon


Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, playing for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on a rehab assignment Friday, rounds first base trying for a double. He was tagged out at second base. (Photo: Jason Farmer, AP)


MOOSIC, Pa - Alex Rodriguez has two more games before he likely gets a ticket back to the big leagues.


The much-maligned 14-time All-Star and three-time American League MVP is in the final stages of his 20-day rehab assignment from January hip surgery before he makes his highly anticipated return to the New York Yankees lineup Monday in Texas.


Rodriguez, who went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles as a designated hitter for the Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on Friday, will be back at third base and bat second in the lineup in Saturday night's game against the Louisville Bats. The Yankees said Rodriguez had tightness in his left quadriceps but would remain in the lineup as a DH.


Making stops with Single-A Charleston, S.C., high-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton, N.J., before his arrival in Scranton, Pa., Rodriguez is 8-for-36 (.222 average) with two homers, eight RBI and eight strikeouts in 12 games.


In his first two games with the RailRiders, Rodriguez was 3-for-8. He will be seeking to hit his first Triple-A homer in nearly two decades -- his last was with the Seattle Mariners' Triple-A Tacoma club in 1995.


A-Rod sparked controversy Friday when he smacked a line drive that bounced off the left-field wall in the bottom of the eighth inning. He ran hard down the first-base line but appeared to slow down as he headed to second. Just before he reached the base, Rodriguez made an awkward two-foot slide and was tagged out.


Rodriguez said he was moving at his top speed.


"It wasn't in slow motion," he said after Friday's game. "That was my real speed. I feel good -- slow, but good. It felt good rounding first base, knowing I'm not running as fast as I can, but I'm running hard. I knew I was going to slide. Even though I was sitting round for eight innings, I feel that my mobility, stability and strength are all coming along pretty well. But I wouldn't expect much more speed than that. I'm sure that I can outrun some guys out there."


MORE: HELP WANTED: COMING BACK: Yankees eager to get A-Rod back Yankees' third basemen not getting job done Defiant Rodriguez says he won't quit

Rodriguez also thinks his adjustment back to third base with the Yankees won't be an overnight success.


"I said all along that I thought I would be behind several weeks defensively," Rodriguez said. "I think it is a work in progress. My pregame work has been intense and it is game speed. It will take time and I'll catch up.


"I'm a player. I like to be out there in the field. Wherever the manager puts me, I'll be happy."


When he makes his scheduled return in Texas, Rodriguez doesn't know what to expect. He signed a 10-year, $252 million deal with the Rangers in 2001 but he was traded to the Yankees in 2004. The relationship between Rodriguez and the Texas fans has been bitter since he admitted taking steroids during his first three years with the club.


"It shouldn't be boring," Rodriguez said. "It should be pretty exciting."


Although Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has mentioned the possibility of Rodriguez being placed on the disabled list if he doesn't appear to be ready, club President Randy Levine sounded eager to get A-Rod back in the lineup Monday.


"If he's ready to come back, and he's healthy, he'll be back Monday night," Levine said. "We need Alex Rodriguez. We need a right-handed bat. We need a third baseman. He's the best third baseman we've got. And if he's hot, he can carry us.''


No comments:

Post a Comment