Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Andy Pettitte: 'Backs' (A


Alex Rodriguez is hitting. 206 on his rehab assignment. (Photo: Jason Farmer, The Scranton Times-Tribune via AP)


New York Yankees' Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte all talked about the Ryan Braun suspension in the minutes after it was announced. Jeter largely declined to comment, saying he wanted to find out more of what was going on before saying anything beyond his usual distaste for what this sort of thing means for baseball.


BRAUN: Suspended for rest of season BRENNAN: Baseball threw the bum out

"Any time you're sitting around here talking about this kind of stuff, it's not fun," Jeter said. "It's not good for the game. But it shows that what they're trying to do is working."


Pettitte and Rivera were a little more forthcoming, and pledged support should Alex Rodriguez face a similar situation. But both also made it clear that they want PED users caught and punished.


Jennings writes for The Journal News in Westchester, N.Y.

"We're going to back (Rodriguez) up," Pettitte said. "We're his teammates. There's no doubt. But if he did something wrong, you have to be punished for it. But I'll still back him up. I'm still going to love him because I built the relationship with him. He's a teammate of mine. You just wish nothing but the best for him."


Said Rivera: "He's my teammate. He's my brother. I'm not saying he did or didn't do it, but if it happens, I can't throw him in the street. He's still my brother. ... I don't know what happened with Alex. He's my teammate and I have to support him 100 percent. I really don't know until something different happens. We need to see what follows. The good thing about this is we're cleaning the game. That's the way it should be. This is a message for whoever tries to do this again - he's going to get caught."


No comments:

Post a Comment